FOR THE CRAB CAKES
fresh crab meat, picked well* 2 (1 lb.)
scallions, green parts, sliced 2
garlic, minced 1 clove
red pepper, roasted, diced 1 pepper
jalapeno, seeded, brunoise 1/2
corn kernels, roasted, shucked 2 ears
bacon, rendered crisp, diced 3 rashers
onion, small dice 2/3 cup
panko breadcrumbs ½ - ¾ cup
lemon ~ thyme mayo (follows) 3/4 cups
dijon mustard 1 tbsp.
fresh basil, chiffonade 2 leaves
sea salt TT
smoked paprika 1 tsp.
cumin, toasted, ground ½ tsp.
coriander, toasted, ground ½ tsp.
curry powder ½ tsp.
fennel seed, toasted, whole 1 tsp.
(* can substitute with canned crab)
egg yolks 2
garlic cloves, chopped 2
rice wine vinegar 2 tbsp.
white sugar 2 tsp.
momijioroshi 2 tbsp.
fresh thyme, chopped 1 tbsp.
sea salt 1 tsp.
grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
cilantro leaf, chiffonade ½ cup
XV olive oil ½ cup
canola oil ½ cup
1. In a blender add the egg yolks, chopped garlic, vinegar, fresh thyme, momijiorohi, sugar and salt.
2. Pulse on medium speed to blend until smooth and fluid past forms.
3. With the blender running, add the XV olive oil in a very slow stream at first, when half of the amount has been added, increase the stream flow a bit.
4. When all of the olive oil has been used, add all of the canola oil slowly until a thick emulsification forms.
5. Take of the lid and using a plastic spatula, push all the ingredients from the sides of the blender down and add the lemon zest and cilantro.
6. Put the lid back on and pulse quickly a few times until mixed.
7. Transfer the mayonnaise to a bowl, cover and place in the fridge
all purpose flour as needed
eggs, beaten as needed
panko or regular bread crumbs as needed
sea salt as needed
black pepper as needed
1. Combine all 3 ingredients together, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
DIRECTIONS TO COMPLETE
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Add all the crab cake ingredients in a bowl and mix really well with rubber spatula until incorporated.
3. Form into desired size by pressing into a ring mold. 2.5”D x 1”H is ideal (an empty soup can with both ends removed works great) .At this point you can freeze and use at a later date.
4. Slightly freeze cakes for 20 minutes until firm.
5. Remove from freezer and bread the cakes with the 3-step flour, egg, breadcrumb process.
6. In a non-stick skillet on medium heat add canola oil and when hot pan-fry the cakes on one side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Turn cakes over and place skillet in a 350°F pre-heated oven and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and serve with dollop of momijiroshi aioli and fresh microgreens or seedlings.
(YIELD : 10-3oz. CAKES)
CRAB CAKES WITH